Sunday, November 28, 2004

Thanksgiving

So I said I would update about Thanksgiving and now that I have some time and don't appear to be falling asleep I will.

On Thursday (Thanksgiving day) I awoke at 7am and went downstairs to help with preparations. There was lots of cleaning to be done and then some food to be made. I don't think I was much help, but I tried.

Gary's sister and her family came around 1pm as did Christine, Sharon and Howard. Everyone gathered in the kitchen as the final cooking went on. It was a little crowded to say the least. I got to try Iced Roaches. Yummy. We also had dips and snacks.

Dinner was very like Christmas dinner. There was turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn and then some other unique stuff such as green chili corn, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie and cabbage salad. All edible and I've adjusted well to American food.

Overall, it was a good meal and the company was good. Afterwards there was the usual crashing on the couch before the guests left and the cleanup began. I was very glad to go to bed.

So now you've experienced Thanksgiving second hand. Basically Boxing Day except the grace is more about being thankful and the decorations are associated with Autumn.

The day after Thanksgiving is a day for the shops to go crazy. Some shops had sales on everything they sold and some opened as early as 5.30am. I didn't get up that early, but I did get some bargains and some great Christmas presents.

Celebrating Thanksgiving made me think about Christmas and how much I'm going to miss my family and our traditions. I'm just thankful to be in such a warm and loving home.

No comments: