Sunday, April 12, 2009

Okay, so this all from the heart and no offence meant to anyone. I understand that everyone has troubles. And I would never say that my troubles outweigh any one else's. But this is my life. Welcome to it...

(Oh and I'm not complaining as such, I just want people to have a better understanding).

I have Chronic fatigue(CFS). And often vertigo (not a fear of heights). And bartter's syndrome. And some pain in my stomach that has been undergoing investigation for about a year but as yet has no defined cause.

Anyway, on any given day I'll most likely wake up in need of potassium (part of bartter's). I'll have pins and needles all through my body and quite often I'll lose all feeling in my feet and I'll have to move my legs with my arms and prop myself up along the walls until I get to the drugs. *Note to self- put drugs closer by.* This leg dead thing can happen at any point throughout the day and has occurred in university lectures, the cinema, in work.... Still scares the crap out of me and often I wonder how I'll make it home, especially if I've driven.

Oh and please, please, please don't tell me to eat a banana. A large banana contains about 400mg of potassium. I take 1800mg a day. I also takes drugs to help me hold onto the potassium. Otherwise I could eat my weight in bananas and still not feel any better as my body just chucks it out.

Also on any given day I may wake up with a "hangover"/"jetlag" feeling. An unshakable tiredness and fog in my brain as well as often pain throughout my body and the dreaded migraines. I've been known to fall asleep during study time (like today) and when I am awake I find it hard to concentrate and really take things in. I think most people would struggle with chemistry and a hangover.

The most annoying thing about CFS is that there is no easy fix. You can't just have a greasy fry up or sleep it off. You're stuck with it. It could come any day, any time and the only person who can even tell there's something wrong with you is you because the stupid thing is invisible.

Vertigo is also an evil thing. Despite my CFS I have no choice but to take stairs - lifts make me so dizzy that I'll literally fall to the ground. Thankfully most of my other vertigo problems are under control, but on bad days you can imagine life with that constant feeling of just getting off a really fast roundabout or the waltzers. I also can't read black print on white paper, or drive on bad days so it is a problem for work and uni.

I think I'll stop ranting now and go and get some sleep. I hope I haven't come across as a moan. It's just the way life goes. I'm ever hopeful in a few years time I'll feel all better.

2 comments:

Ms. Latina said...

Hi Polly,

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. You are definitely going through a hard time and I have to say you that you handle it so well inspiring others like me! I'm glad you are able to post about it. It helps to be able to put words to your feelings! Just know that you are not alone. He IS holding your hand even through this! GBU!

Anonymous said...

To answer your Twitter question, What exactly saddened me?, I would have to give a little background.

I have been laid off from an ag electronics company since May 2009. Two weeks after, my father died. A very sad event. He was a very famous Angus Cattleman, as was his father. I have had more time, being unemployed, to help with my 86 year old mother, but I feel guilty I can't be at her place more often.

Unemployment in Illinois at this date is 20%. My saving are running out, although the necessary bills like utilities, insurance and the like keep coming.

A friend of mine gave me a book, "Three Feet from Gold" as a Christmas present. Basically it help me determine my strengths, talents and passions - thus troytolan.com.

My wife, Mary wants me to look for a desk job. I want to work for myself, outdoors when the weather is nice and indoors when it is not so nice. Illinois can be nasty in the winter! Mary doesn't believe I can make a go of it unless I have a steady job. The reason is I have not done well on my own in the past! But, through good and bad she has stuck with me..

Mary takes care of the house and our two daughters. Hayley is 13 and Hannah is 15. So, Hayley still likes and wants to be with me. Hannah has her boyfriend and doesn't want to have much to do with me. We give the kids everything and offer them lots of opportunities.

After Hayley was born, Mary, at that time 36, had so much pain in her hip that she could not get out of bed. We discovered that she had a Giant Cell Tumor in the ball of the femur. The first doctor tried removing the tumor and filling it with cement. The tumor grew back, and the doctor wouldn't see her till her 6 mo. visit. So, we went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. They took x rays on a Friday and performed a hip replacement on Monday.

It was one year from Hayley's birth before Mary could hold her while standing. Mary has had a job since then but with difficulty. Some days she can't get out of bed. Walking is difficult by days end and I want her to be home and enjoy life instead of being in the rat race, the full time office job.

So, actually this is a short version of all our struggles. I could write a good size short story.

What saddened me on the day I read your blog posts, was - I had a memory of this student. Someone I had brief contact with when I first signed up for Twitter. In my mind I knew this someone, you, would be graduating and going out into the world to pursue a passion. And that your life would be perfect. Job, security, and a boyfriend you cared deeply about. This was a good felling for me. And understand I wasn't obsessing, it was just a thought that I had.

Then I read your blog and memories of my life struggles and those of my wife came rushing back to me. I did not want anything less than perfection in your life. Again I am not thinking about this all the time. It was just thoughts that crossed my mind.

If I had never read your blogs, I would have only remembered that this student was going to have a perfect life!

I hope this explains why I was saddened. I do not know you, but I do wish you the best...